The Lou Fusz Soccer Club was founded in 1992 by Lou Fusz Jr. and former professional soccer player and coach, Don Popovic. Lou, a prominent St. Louis businessman and architect of the widely recognized Lou Fusz Automotive Network, acquired a passion for soccer while watching his children play. Lou has always been involved in St. Louis sports and envisioned the soccer club as a way to give back to the community. It was Lou’s hope that children would have somewhere to grow as athletes while becoming well-rounded individuals. In 2014, the club announced Pete Fusz as the president of the Lou Fusz Soccer Club. Pete has a passion for helping the children of St. Louis get the best experience possible by learning sports skills, and more importantly life skills, that will help them succeed after the sport. “By 2020, Lou Fusz Athletic will have positively influenced every family in St. Louis.” To reach this ambitious goal, the Club has broadened its horizons with the announcement of Lou Fusz Athletic (LFA for short).
This organization became the umbrella name for the various sports under the Lou Fusz club name. The next sport, lacrosse, was introduced with the help of LFA Director, Todd Dillon. Continuing towards this goal, 2017 brought the announcement of the new training facility, LFA Training Center—former training facility of the St. Louis Rams. Our new facility will allow kids of the St. Louis area to develop their skills in a world class facility. Striving for excellent management and further development of the club, Dan Gargan was invited to provide professional insight. As a former professional player of many major soccer teams, he is excited “to give back, and service the future generations that love this game in particular, and sports in general.”
LFA has taken yet another step in the right direction in 2018 with the announcement of football. Football will be overseen by LFA Director Marc “Bridge” Lillibridge, former NFL player and Elite Performance training member. He has brought tackle football and elite skill based training to hundreds of players here at LFA, and has plan’s to introduce Flag Football and the newer sport of Flex Football to the St. Louis area’s rapidly growing club. We truly believe that the addition of these new sports programs and facilities will allow us to become more involved in our community. We look forward to supporting the growth of our programs now and in the future.
- 1992 – Club started by Lou Fusz Jr. and Don Popovic
- 1997 – Chris Stocker, a member of the National Amateur Cup Championship in 1978-79, joined as an assistant to Don Popovic.
- 1997 – Purchase of Aubuchon Fields allowing the Lou Fusz Soccer Club to have its own home
- 2002 – Mark Santel, former professional player, becomes Director of Girl’s Program
- 2007 – Purchase of Creve Couer location, now named Lou Fusz Soccer Complex, provides 2 additional grass fields
- 2010 – Recreation play and soccer camps begin under direction of Marty Pike
- 2015 – Final 4 turf fields added for a total of 8 state of the art synthetic fields & 2 natural grass fields
- 2016 – Former Major League Soccer star Dan Gargan joins the Lou Fusz Soccer Club as General Manager
- 2017 – Lou Fusz announces the acquisition of Rams Park, former home to the St. Louis Rams
- 2017 – Lou Fusz Soccer Club 25th Anniversary: Creation of first club crest and re brand under new name Lou Fusz Athletic.
- 2017 – Lacrosse announced as second sport under Lou Fusz Athletic, under the direction of Todd Dillon
- 2017 – The Back Post Grill & Tap opens along side the completion of the Don Popovic Pavilion and new restrooms.
- 2017 – Blue Star Academy formed under Mike Ambersley.
- 2018 – Training & weight rooms completed with indoor turf. LFA Team Store completed at LFA Training Center.
- 2018 – American Football becomes 3rd sport under Lou Fusz Athletic, under the direction of Marc “Bridge” Lillibridge.
- 2019 – Flag Football and Flex Football introduced